Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Neighborhood Watch

Tonight we had a neighborhood watch meeting put on by the local police department. As a community we were informed that over the past 6 months there have been nearly 150 reported incidences in our area (it's a pretty big area to be fair, but still the number is quite shocking). These have included burglaries, car thefts, car burglaries, and so on and so forth. Apparently there have been two burglaries in my complex recently. Supposedly those responsible have been kicking down the doors, coming in and sweeping up jewelry and laptops and things of that nature, all within the span of just a few minutes. Nearly all of them have had witnesses who never once called the police. Imagine your apartment has been broken into, the neighbors see people running off with your belongings and they do nothing. That would make me very angry.

Anyway we were given tips on how to protect ourselves better but really there isn't much advice they can give that goes beyond common sense. Although by the advice given you would think some people really don't have any common sense whatsoever. I can't imagine why any idiot would not lock their car or deadbolt their apartment door. Yes, accidents happen and there was even that time when Jeffrey left my keys in the lock from the outside overnight. But based on what I heard tonight I can't help but think that some people just don't get it.

The one thing we can do to protect ourselves is get renters insurance and before tonight's meeting I didn't really understand what the big deal behind it was. Now I get it. We're getting on top of that right away.

On a side note I seem to be allergic to the outside. The entire time during the meeting I was scratching at my shoulders or my legs. I think little flies must have been attracted to me because they know I never go outside and when I do I stay in my car (lol).

I just hope no one tries to break in while I'm here. That's the truly scary part! My desk is right by the front door so I can hear when people come up the stairs and even walk up to the threshold. I usually don't answer the door for people unless it's maintenance or an employee of UPS/FedEx/USPS so I guess I'm going to have to get over that. Can you imagine sitting at your desk, ignoring the door, and then having someone kick the darn thing down? That just seems too traumatic to take any chances. I don't want to end up like Rose in that one episode of The Golden Girls where she is so frightened she gets a gun and becomes hysterical. Nope. Not me.

Oh and also, the lady giving the presentation was like the Paula Deen of the criminal justice system. I half expected her to start the presentation by saying, "Today y'all..."

No comments:

Post a Comment