Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thinking About 2011

I accidentally typed “2001” in that title. It’s so odd to me that we are approaching the year 2011 in mere days. So much has happened in the past 10 years and just the idea of attending my 10 year high school reunion (OMG) is making me wig out. I would prefer to look back on the last 10 years and have my mind absolutely flooded with memories of the things I did, places I went, goals I accomplished, etc… but they don’t come as easily as I would hope.

When you think back on all that you have accomplished it shouldn’t be akin to searching through a bare refrigerator looking for something to eat. But I fear that’s how it is. Oh sure, I graduated from college twice; first with 2 Associate degrees from a community college and then with a BA from CSU Channel Islands. But what else? I managed to find the greatest living person ever born and not only fall in love with him, but experience the absolute joy of him falling in love with me, but I wouldn’t really count that as a personal success.

At one point I calculated that I had accomplished every goal I ever set out to complete. But what good is that when you can’t remember it? Did that mean the goals were not worthy? Should I set my sights higher?

I admit it’s been quite difficult to make goals and commit to things since I was wrongfully fired from my job. It stripped me of a lot of myself (something I know will make me stronger in the future, however). Then I thought about new year resolutions. I never really made them before or never made the effort to stick with them beyond the first of the year. So, in light of these recent revelations, I’ve decided to make – and hopefully stick to – a list of resolutions. They are as follows:

  1. Take more photos; even include myself in a few of them (that will be difficult, I admit)
  2. Try not to immediately judge people
  3. Be friendlier (I guess this goes hand-in-hand with #2)
  4. Have more friends
  5. Keep in touch with the friends I currently have

I certainly hope that by the time the next decade passes and I am looking down the path at 2021, I will have a fuller mind of memories and goals that have been accomplished. I imagine there could be few things more unpleasant than going an entire decade without growing or accomplishing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment