Monday, May 28, 2012

Something to Blog About

It seems strange to me that I never think I have anything worthwhile to blog about. School and life in general are mundane and routine, and for some reason I stop myself from sharing those aspects of my life because they seem quite boring. Well, I've started a new habit, and this is one I do want to talk about, because I really don't have anyone else to talk to it about. I'm writing a book.

I used to write a lot when I was younger. It was a daily habit that produced a lot of unfinished stories printed out in nondescript binders. Frankly the genre of my writing is too embarrassing to admit now at the wonderful age of 29, but irrespective of that it was great fun. Unfortunately that was eight years ago, way back when I was a recent high school graduate who was putting her way through community college. Obviously a lot has changed then.

I've had many ideas for stories along the way and oftentimes I would attempt to outline them to some degree of detail and then never get around to writing them. It seemed like what I thought I was supposed to do was the worst thing I actually could do. This new story has no outline. No draft. No game plan in general. In fact I don't know how it will end. Right now I have a general idea of where the story is going and a more concrete idea about what to write next. Other than that I'm completely blank.

But I find myself daydreaming into the world I've created, picturing the few characters I've made up and wondering what they will do next. I even think about them before I go to sleep at night, mostly because the majority of my writing is done at night before bedtime. Fooling around online in the morning, school work in the afternoon, writing at night. There's some Judge Judy and a few other shows interspersed throughout that timeline.

I have a good feeling about this story. Each time I finish a chapter I send it to my dear friend Julia and have Jeff read it on the iPad. Their notes give me life. They each have their own take on the story  and both of them contribute immensely to the process. Jeffrey is logical, practical and scientifically minded (which works because it's set in a fantasy world of science fiction) and Julia is a romantic, an optimist and an engaging reader (which works because there is a love story).

So far I've written over 31,000 words and 142 pages. I'm a little more than a third done. Again, I don't know what the ending will be, but I have a really good feeling I'll know I'm there when I write it.

To keep myself writing and blogging I'm putting a little widget on the side here where I can track my progress. Hopefully you'll see it completed one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment