Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5 of 366

Now that 2012 is here I've been feeling excited to get started on my resolutions; I only have 2 this year. First, I want to cook and bake more and become more proficient at it. Ideally I would like for Jeff and I to come to the point where what we cook at home is so delicious there is no need to go out to restaurants. I think I'd like to also add to that less fast food consumption. The second resolution is to blog more and so far I've been doing a pretty good job. I've started a new blog called Apartment 54 and I've had luck blogging on it every day.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much cooking or baking. We rely solely on financial aid and help from Jeff's parents (thank goodness for them) and so far have not received any financial aid. Jeff's first payment was supposed to be distributed on the 31st of December but because of the NYE holiday and the mail not operating until Tuesday, that payment has been delayed. Unfortunately that means we haven't been able to buy groceries. And on top of that I realized we haven't purchased groceries since a week before Christmas. It's been more than 15 days! We have gone through literally everything in the refrigerator and our pantry and have managed to pick up one or two things from the store thanks to finding a few bucks here and there.

One real saving grace was our Friends card from Fresh & Easy. We had accumulated enough points to convert them into money on our card - $14 in total. We used that last night to buy some ground turkey, a can of tuna, shredded cheese and tortillas. It was nice having meat last night for dinner but definitely left me wanting more.

I really hope his financial aid check arrives today. Thankfully all of our bills are paid up but they start over again on the 6th and I can't stand the thought of not being able to pay my cell phone or something else important. And quite frankly I don't think we can get by much longer without food. Our final saving grace be the big bag of recycling we have but that would only yield a couple dollars. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment