Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday Eve

Another Thanksgiving has passed us by. This year the holiday was spent with my boyfriend's family - a small gathering of immediate family members that was 7 hours of delightful domesticity. There was turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes and rolls, cranberries, sweet potato gratin and green bean casserole (both made by me) and other yummy foods as well. It was a feast to celebrate a bounty of plenty. Or you know, whatever.

As we were driving back home along the 5 I couldn't help but notice a strange long line of people that wrapped around a building towards the back alleyway and stretched on for at least another large store. It was the line of people awaiting the midnight opening of Wal Mart for Black Friday. Since witnessing this line I have had two thoughts:

  1. How unfortunate to be standing out in the cold (it was 44 degrees when we left at 10pm)
  2. How depressing it is that I cannot participate in Black Friday, even though I've never really been able to before anyway.
This whole concept of Black Friday is really kind of twisted if you think about it long enough. We're still in dire economic times but we seem to be shopping more and more. The other day my mom mentioned to me that she observed more and more people shopping than ever. I immediately discounted her statement due to the fact that these are some of the worst economic times in recent history. But it turns out she's right. People wait in line for hours to go to Wal Mart. I know a guy who is standing in line (as I type this) for Target to open at 4am. I can recall waiting in line all night for Ticketmaster to open so I could buy tickets (paid for by my mom) to see the Backstreet Boys in concert (hey, it was 1999/2000). I've waited in lines for game releases (both times to hang out with a guy I had a crush on, whom I've been dating for nearly 3 years and spent Thanksgiving with this evening) and there are movies I would consider waiting in lines for to see. But not for shopping.

Maybe it's because I was never one to receive an enormous amount of gifts for Christmas, like my cousins did. My parents have never been particularly well off and I've yet to achieve the staggering professional success that can afford me the lifestyle to which I'd like to become accustomed. Maybe it's because I'm still feeling a little down at the constant reminder of just how unemployed I am. Maybe it's the reminder that I have $50 for the foreseeable future.

It's probably jealousy. And I really wish I could partake.

No comments:

Post a Comment