Friday, May 13, 2011

Complexities

Every day in my job I listen as the drug addicts, alcoholics, gang members, batterers and otherwise damaged people come in to receive their weekly counseling. I sit here and listen in from time to time, wondering if I should be in there with them. I don't always subscribe to the idea of therapy but a lot of these people get something from it that feeds them. I realize that I need something to feed me, something more healthy than the complex emotions I go through daily.
Am I messed up? Am I damaged? Or am I perfectly normal? I'm not in a gang, I don't do drugs (except pot once in a great while, and that's mostly for my back), I hardly ever drink and when I do I never get drunk. I don't need couples counseling an I don't require parenting courses. I am just this 28 year old person who will be soaked in motion before ever applying logic and I think I am mostly just trying to continue finding myself. And yet, I feel more in common with these people here than with most other strangers I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment