Thursday, May 26, 2011

Photo Post: Washington D.C.

The year between my junior and senior years of high school I had the extraordinary luck of traveling to Washington D.C. as a part of the school’s Madrigals choir. Madrigals was basically the elite choir and we were really good. I’m not just saying that because I’m biased; we were awesome.
So, to set the scene, this would have been June 2000. We flew out for a long weekend and toured the city and performed in a few places. As far as the weather was concerned it was nearly the most miserable experience. Fortunately for us we stayed in our sleeping bags in the basement of a church that was very air conditioned. We took the bus into the main part of the city and walked around for hours. We sang at the Lincoln Memorial (my idea) and were nearly arrested because of it (apparently it’s considered soliciting?) Our final day we were in our black formal gowns (and then men in tuxedos) and we sang at the National Cathedral. Then immediately got on a bus, drove to the airport and flew home.
It was amazing.
These photos were taken with a Minolta Freedom 35AF/QD camera that I still own. I scanned them last summer and they haven’t been altered in any way, hence some of them being slightly crooked.

Edit 2/18/12: Photos no longer available.

















I find it strangely serendipitous that most of my photos are of buildings for no apparent reason. Apparently I loved architecture years before I ever realized how much I really do love architecture, especially neo-Classical.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I took my Japanese wife to DC in 1985. The Lincoln Memeorial is a powerful place, as is the Vietnam Mememorial. Kurt

    ReplyDelete