Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reverse Lent

I’m not Catholic. I’m not even a Christian. At best I’m agnostic and most days I would call myself atheist. But regardless of your religious views it seems quite popular to celebrate religious-based holidays in a completely secular manner. Lent should be no exception.
I don’t know the meaning of Lent. I don’t even know how long it lasts (although, a distant memory of a Josh Hartnett movie is telling me that Lent is 40 days long). But I am kind of digging the idea of doing something different for 40 days. At first I thought about giving up soda. But a few hours afterwards I realized I was carrying a soda into work. Lent will have to forgive my brain chemistry (read: A.D.D.) Then I thought that instead of giving something up, which can be rather difficult and causes a tremendous amount of guilt, I decided to try to do something more instead. Sort of like a new year resolution that lasts a fraction of the time. So, what is my reverse Lent?
Blogging! I’ve often felt terrible for letting my blog just sit here collecting cyber dust (even though I know no one is reading this right now anyway). So my goal for the next 40 days of Lent is to blog every single day. I realize going into it that this could prove rather difficult, so I’ve already promised myself that I won’t beat myself up if I fail one day. After all, I’m not Catholic.
I think I might still give up sodas though. I’ve discovered this amazing raspberry lemonade that I’m quite fond of….. but I’ll save that for tomorrow’s daily blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment